Home About Me Contact Tumblr

Saturday, July 2

Let's talk about something real.

Being able to go and pass out fresh produce to about 35 low-income families in Santa Barbara was such an enriching experience. Knowing that those kids are going to be able to go home and eat something other than just frozen food and Lunchables, that they will have the opportunity to have a healthy, well-balanced meal -- that's beautiful.

Then I think about the many families in the United States who could afford fresh fruits and vegetables, but who choose instead to eat frozen food all the time. And I feel sad for them. I feel sad for the children who were raised to think that that is okay. The children who grow up to be adults who move out of the house and eat nothing but frozen food, TV dinners, meals out of boxes. And then teach their children those same habits. Help them lead those same unhealthy lives. And then they develop problems like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, and they don't understand why. Why is it so hard for people to understand that the food they put into their mouths affects their bodies? I mean, come on. When did we forget that? When did we forget?

1 comment:

Kim Berens said...

I completely agree with you - I get so frustrated over the same thing! And then people look at us and think we're overly concerned about what we eat because we don't want to eat preservatives and ingredients with scientific names and numbers.

Or at least all the time - I'm not gonna lie, I'll be sad if I never eat a Debbie's oatmeal cream pie again...